Monday, September 21, 2009

Good Coaches


I had a wonderful meeting today with Dr. Craig Stewart about the class that I will be teaching this fall: HDPE317 Basketball Coaching Theory. We had a great conversation about the direction of the class and some of the characteristics of good coaches. I felt like the conversation had just started and before you knew it, we had been talking for an hour. Made me think that it could make a good blog topic. I am going to try and make this a recurring feature, help me out by posting ideas about what you think makes a good coach.

Time Management
Good coaches are good at time management. I think it probably comes down to a more basic skill of organization, but we can talk about that some other time. Dr. Stewart made a great point saying "Time is the only thing you and your opponent have exactly the same amount of." I thought that was great! How efficient can you be in practice? Do you start on time? Do you end on time? Do you allow enough rest? Do you allow too much rest? Do you get to everything you want to cover in practice? Are you consistently 30 minutes behind schedule? These are very important questions and I think you will find the good coaches are very skilled in time management.

Let me know your thoughts...

3 comments:

BasketballShootingCoach said...

Good coaches undestand and utlize the following:
http://www.basketballshootingcoach.com/basketball_theory
http://www.basketballshootingcoach.com/practice

Coach Scanson said...

Thanks Dave! I really like the idea of motivation and how it works with peer pressure. Thanks for the post.

Mslacat said...

I am not a coach but time management is very important aspect of an architect’s daily life. The one comment I will make is that while it is important to have a time schedule to work towards it when ever possible it is also important to have some flexibility and recognize on the fly when a task needs more time. You can not always stop a task when time is up. Some times it is important to finish what you have started even if it takes more than the scheduled amount of time. Of course the trick is figuring out how to priorities and adjust your remaining tasks in order meet your dead line.