Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Tipping Point

I have decided that I need to read more. I usually pass on reading in favor of watching Sports Center and really can’t remember the last book that I read cover to cover before this summer. There are a lot of things that I am interested in that I don’t know much about (surprising I know!) and things I want to improve on. The book that sparked my personal reading revolution was “Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell. “Tipping Point” is about the characteristics of social epidemics and the point at which they “tip.” At first I was thinking about how to “tip” our YouTube videos into a viral sensation or how to “tip” Bozeman into buying season tickets and selling out the Fieldhouse. When it came time to write this letter, my mind settled on a new idea…what will “tip” this team towards winning the Big Sky?

We have had tipping points in the past. Two seasons ago we beat the Griz at the Fieldhouse behind a great crowd and some crazy three-point shooting. Last year we knocked off a pretty good Portland State team at the Stott in a high scoring shootout. Both of these moments helped carry us to post season victories, but ultimately ran out of gas before reaching our final goal.

The point I want to make is this, an opportunity to win the Big Sky Conference will present itself. It may be in the form of a 6:00am workout, a “Bring It On Coach” drill, a team dinner, or an overtime nail biter in February.

The question is: Will we be ready?

1 comment:

Tyler said...

What was the tipping point for you deciding to start being a big-time reader? Great Post!